Marine Spatial Planning
- Council ready to see the Integrated Maritime Policy step up a gear– Euroalert.net – The Commission has welcomed the conclusions of the General Affairs and External Relations Council of 16/17 November, which acknowledge the progress achieved in the field of the Integrated Maritime Policy over the past two years and endorse the integrated approach to maritime affairs.
- Healthy Oceans Can Help Save Us From Climate Change– Earth Times- The ‘Blue Climate Coalition,’ comprised of sixty-six conservation groups and interests and over 150 marine scientists and professionals, from 33 countries, issued communications today addressed to President Obama and the United States Senate.
- New fisheries management organisation for the South Pacific high seas– World Fishing- The European Commission has welcomed the adoption of a Convention for the setting up of a new regional fisheries management organisation (RFMO), to manage non-tuna fish stocks in the South Pacific, in Auckland, New Zealand.
- Efforts to sustain biodiversity fall short– Nature.com- But the issue is gaining attention as nations prepare for next year’s [Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD)] summit.
- On the Move– Honolulu Star-Bulletin- Monk seal KP2 will be sent to California to undergo cataract surgery; see also: KP2 Monk Seal Heading For Surgery– KITV.com
- Molokai group to hold blessing for monk seal– Honolulu Advertiser
- Fisheries-aquaculture collaboration sealed with Spain– FIS.com- Authorities of Spain and Costa Rica strengthened bilateral ties in fisheries and aquaculture matters with the signing of a memorandum of understanding within the framework of the Food and Agriculture Organisation’s (FAO) World Summit on Food Security, held in Rome.
Marine Protected Areas
- Japan’s Whalers Set Sail for Antarctica as Green Groups Protest – Bloomberg.com– Bloomberg
- Skate may be fished to extinction– BBC
- The Polar Bear is Still One Oil Spill Away From Disaster– newsblaze.com