- The Ocean Manifesto- Times Online- For the ocean to survive, we need to throw it five lifelines by doing the following: 1: Establishing marine reserves, 2: Ending the freedom of the seas, 3: Controlling fishing fleets, 4: Banning bottom trawling, 5: Controlling pollution.
- Madagscar's major reefs among most at risk from climate change- WWF International
- Coral breakage main tsunami casualty in American Samoa reef damage report- Radio New Zealand International
- It's our sea to save, in all its still living color- Boston Globe- Efforts in the U.S. Virgin Islands to protect coral reefs.
- Galapagos Islands are transformed- BBC News- The Galapagos archipelago has already been transformed by global climate changes and human activity, a report has concluded.
- Government to announce Arctic marine park- The Gazette (Montreal)- The Canadian government is expected to announce a deal next week to create a protected marine area at the eastern gates of the Northwest Passage.
- Paradise in a perilous state- Irish Times- About the Maldives and the challenges it faces with climate change.
- Crew plans to cut rope to free entangled humpback whale in Hawaii waters- Associated Press
- ISSF: Close purse seine tuna fishery- SeafoodSource.com- The International Seafood Sustainability Foundation says the temporary closure is necessary to protect western and central Pacific bigeye and yellowfin tuna stocks.
- Farmed fish could be sushi's future- New Zealand Herald- About an Australian aquaculture operation to raise Southern Bluefin tuna.
Monday, December 07, 2009
News clips: December 5-7, 2009
Posted by Rachel at Monday, December 07, 2009