Copenhagen Global Climate Summit
- Ocean acidification rates pose disaster for marine life, major study shows- Guardian- Report launched from leading marine scientists at Copenhagen summit shows seas absorbing dangerous levels of CO2.
- Scientist: Extinction threatens Coral Reefs unless CO2 limited to 350ppm- Bay Area Indymedia- Professor Ove Hoegh-Guldberg from the University of Queensland gave a presentation at the US Pavilion at the COP15 climate negotiations in Copenhagen about the threat of climate change to the world’s coral reefs.
- Mediterranean Is Scary Laboratory of Ocean Futures- Wired
- Sea Level Is Rising Along US Atlantic Coast, Say Environmental Scientists- Science Daily
- Harnessing ocean’s potential for energy without emissions- New Zealand Herald- As the world’s leaders try to hammer out a new programme to slow global warming, the energy and mineral-rich state of Western Australia has begun a shift to wave power.
- Scientists Call for Ending Bush-Era Endangered Species Listing Policy- New York Times Greenwire- there’s a link to the letter written by the scientists at the bottom of the article.
- Australia threatens Japan with legal action over whaling- Radio Australia
- Now we wait- ESPN- Anglers speak out before a decision from Ocean Policy Task Force
- NOAA Spending Bill Orders New Study of National Climate Service- New York Times Greenwire- about the omnibus spending bill up for vote in the House and the allocation to NOAA: Within the Commerce-Justice-Science portion of the bill, the spending measure includes more than $4.7 billion for NOAA. The nearly 9 percent increase is a greater spending boost than either the House bill or the Obama administration’s request and would be the largest budget ever for the agency.
- Feds changing Hawaii swordfish fishery regulations- FOX11AZ.com- The federal government said Thursday it will loosen regulations on Hawaii-based longline swordfish fishermen that are designed to protect sea turtles. See also: NOAA Amendment Removes Swordfishing Restrictions After Study Finds Most Sea Turtle Interactions Non-lethal
- NOAA Proposal Aims to Spur Cap-And-Trade Management of Fisheries- New York Times Greenwire- about NOAA’s new Catch Shares policy
- Fishermen Challenge Federal Agency: Fishermen seek truth in management of industrial herring fleet- EarthJustice press release- Recreational and commercial fishermen have filed separate actions against the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) seeking to close loopholes in the way it monitors the industrial Atlantic herring midwater trawl fleet and bring accountability to this fishery.
Marine Spatial Planning
- Ship controls planned for Antarctica- New Zealand Herald
- Olympics commits to sustainable seafood- SeafoodSource.com
- The gathering of the tribes- Big Island Weekly- First ever all-island Surfrider Foundation meeting galvanizes ocean lovers