Marine Protected Areas
- Beach Watch puts 16 years of observations in the public's hands - Coastsider News
The Beach Watch shoreline-monitoring program is a partnership of the Gulf of the Farallones National Marine Sanctuary and the Farallones Marine Sanctuary.
- ROOSEVELT & WALSH: Fishy agreement between Obama and Bush - Washington Times
With NOAA's December announcement of new draft fisheries' management policy, we finally have a reasonable and potentially successful management tool.
- Support building for bluefin tuna ban
The European Parliament's environment committee overwhelmingly adopts a resolution supporting an international trade ban on Atlantic bluefin tuna.
- Study Finds Ocean Acidification May Reduce Iron Available to Marine Phytoplankton. http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010/01/shi-20100115.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+greencarcongress%2FTrBK+%28Green+Car+Congress%29
- US Navy Sued Over Anti-Sub Training Range Where Rare Whales Calve - Environment News Service
The North Atlantic right whale, Eubalaena glacialis, has been listed as endangered under the Endangered Species Act since 1973.
- Is There an Ecological Unconscious? – NY Time Magazine A branch of psychology says that there is — and that ignoring it puts not just the planet but also our minds at risk. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/magazine/31ecopsych-t.html
- Cruise ship panel boots Haines scientist - Juneau Empire A group of legislators rushed to the defense Tuesday of Haines scientist Gershon Cohen, whose invitation to join a cruise ship advisory panel was rescinded after an industry lobbyist complained about his appointment.