- Obama sets targets on agencies' greenhouse-gas emissions - Washington Post
The executive order, which covers 35 government agencies that must submit plans to the Office of Management and Budget by June for meeting the target.
- Searching for Cadmium in the Ocean - ScienceDaily.com They are invisible and very difficult to measure but no life in the oceans would be possible without them. They are trace metals, such as cadmium, copper or iron, dissolved in seawater.
- Oceans Sea Documentary Beats Clooney at French Cinemas - Time Magazine
Take that, George Clooney. Though the American film heartthrob is still the favorite actor of millions of movie lovers around the world, in France these days he's being outdrawn by a bunch of fish. Score that as a win for Océans, a spectacular new French maritime documentary.
- An ocean-atmosphere climate simulation with an embedded cloud resolving model - agu.org Mean climate and intraseasonal to interannual variability of two versions of the Community Climate System Model (CCSM) coupled atmosphere-ocean general circulation model (CGCM) are analyzed.
- Blue whales' songs a deep mystery - News & Observer
McDonald and his colleagues describe their quest in the journal Endangered Species Research. The best records exist for the whales off California.
- Look-alike fish may throw off white marlin count - Los Angeles Times
A new study may affect the government's decision to keep white marlin off the endangered species list. Roundscale spearfish are commonly taken for marlin.
Marine Protected Areas
- Hungry Otters Stray Into Fishermen's Territory - New York Times
Under the Endangered Species Act, the military and projects such as oil drilling would need to ensure they wouldn't harm the otter.
- Marine sanctuary advisors to hear drilling report - KeysNet
A lengthy discussion on a state proposal to allow oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico is expected to dominate a Feb. 16 session of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council.