- High Seas Beyond National Jurisdiction Badly in Need of Protection - UN News Centre. UN Deputy Secretary-General Asha-Rose Migiros statement to the Ad Hoc Open-ended Informal Working Group to study issues relating to the conservation and sustainable use of marine biological diversity beyond areas of national jurisdiction in New York, 1 February.
- Lead paint kills rare seabirds on Midway - BYM News. The buildings have been responsible for the deaths of as many as 130,000 Laysan Albatross chicks since jurisdiction of Midway was transferred from the Navy to the Department of the Interior (DOI) in 1996.
- President Proposes Key Investments in NOAA 2011 Budget - NOAA. Examples of programs include $11.6 million to support new technologies and ecosystem monitoring systems to assess the effects of ocean acidification. ...
- Jumbo squid explosion - Mongabay.com
However research published in 2008 warned that … ocean acidification caused by changing oxygen and CO2 concentration will "substantially depress metabolic rates (31%) and activity levels (45%)" making it more difficult for the species to hunt in shallow waters.
- Ocean DCPC Hearings Begin Feb. 10 - CapeNews.net
The Cape Cod Commission (CCC) unanimously approved the application for the first-ever Ocean Management District of Critical Planning Concern (DCPC).
- Fish caught evolving into three different species - msnbc.com
The findings add urgency to the search for new species and the need to protect coral reefs.
- NOAA to give lab $5 million to continue project - Honolulu Star-Bulletin
The funding continues an earlier grant dealing with watershed issues at the community level throughout islands in Micronesia.