- My View: Good news on global tuna, swordfishing fronts– Gloucester Daily Times- editorial by Jim Balsiger, acting assistant administrator for NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service
- Global deal signed to outlaw illegal fishing– fishupdate.com
- Fish fight crucial to survival of islanders– Sydney Morning Herald- Fishing for tuna in Kiribati
- ‘Ghost-fishing’ study to pull up lobster traps long lost in waters along Maine’s coast– Newser – USA
- Trawlermen given Cod War payouts– BBC News
- New coalition formed to fight for the UK fishing industry on Marine Protected Areas– Fishnewseu
- No license, no fishing in ocean– thesunchronicle.com- Massachusetts
- Trawl fleet regulated– FIS.com (Registro)- Ecuador
Marine Spatial Planning
- Obama asked to delay wind farm decision– Cape Cod Times – Hyannis,MA,USA- Cape Wind (Nantucket Sound, MA) and Marine Spatial Planning.
- Protection plans for marine areas– BBC News; see also: New protection plan for Norfolk habitats– Norfolk Eastern Daily Press, U.K.- about new proposed MPAs in the U.K.; Marine site in line for conservation status– Kent News
- Research team to explore depths of NC waters– WECT-TV6 – Wilmington,NC,USA- MCBI is mentioned
- Reefs need protection– News & Observer- Letter to the editor in response to article about Steve Ross on Nov.22nd, by Robert Y. George, Ph.D., Wake Forest.
- Cone Snail Venom Effective Remedy For Pain– Space Coast Medicine and Healthy Living
- Coralligenus Algal Reefs– Archipelagos- Overview of importance, threats, and conservation status of these Mediterranean reefs.
- Georgia welcomes right whales back– Coastal Courier- While recognized during the 2008-09 calving season, this will be the first year the rule will be enforced by law enforcement.
- Grey nurse sharks close to extinction– ABC Online
- Rescuers Racing To Save Stranded Sea Turtles – Boston News Story – WCVB Boston– thebostonchannel.com
Ocean Acidification/ Climate Change
- Bermuda’s pink sands under threat as seas become more acidic– Royal Gazette
- NOAA: Warming has fish on move– Gloucester Daily Times
- Jim Channon talks about saving the planet– Big Island Weekly
- Mote scientists help to craft research plan for Cuba, Gulf– Bradenton Herald
Marine Protected Areas
- Marine Science Legend Dr. Sylvia Earle to Help Launch New Private Protected Area in Belize– SEO Press Releases™ (press release)
- 3 RI writers produce book “World Ocean Census”– Providence Journal