- Fish nets snaring false killer whales in Hawaii –Los Angeles Times
- President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts – Broadway World
Marine Mammals Commission nominees include Daryl J. Boness, chairman, and Michael F. Tillman, member.
- House Dems opposed to Obama’s proposed spending freeze – The Hill
Key members of the House Appropriations and Budget committees told The Hill this month they would not go along with alternative spending plans.
- New Science Rules for Offshore Drilling Send Mixed Message http://www.peer.org/news/news_id.php?row_id=1291 — A proposed code forbids disclosure of any information by scientists contrary to: “agreements between MMS and its partners [i.e., oil companies] relating to use, security, and release of sensitive, confidential, proprietary, and administratively controlled, deliberative or personally identifiable information and data provided to the MMS.”
- Measuring carbon dioxide over the ocean – EurekAlert
- Boats in Argyll and Bute to help clear litter from sea – BBC
Fishermen are signing up to a scheme which uses fishing boats to help to clear rubbish from the seas.
- Deep-Sea Corals and Methane Seeps –Deep-Sea News
- Phuket sea gypsies arrested for cyanide fishing – Phuket Gazette
One of the most toxic substances known to man, cyanide is used to temporarily stun fish so that they can be easily removed from the coral reefs they inhabit.
- New Rule Would Bar Illegal Fishing Vessels From Ports – New York Times