We’re thrilled to announce the first Marine Conservation Institute Summer Ocean Party! Please join us July 23 at the Lagunitas Taproom in Petaluma, CA, to learn more about our ocean protection work with great food, drinks and live music by Sonoma’s own reggae band, Sol Horizon. All tickets include dinner and we’re running an early bird special: tickets are $25 until July 20, after which general admission will just be $30. With our colleagues and cohosts Marine Applied Research & Exploration (MARE) and Cordell Marine Sanctuary Foundation, we’ll share new footage and photos from our expedition to discover deep-sea coral ecosystems in the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary.
In May, we boarded the NOAA ship R/V Shearwater out of Santa Barbara to explore the Channel Islands on an eight-day expedition with MARE. Because seafloor coral and sponge communities are rare, our team prepared habitat suitability models to predict where to find these incredible ecosystems. The MARE team used a remotely operated vehicle, or ROV, to explore over 1,000 ft. down and gather new data and high definition video. We have released photos on our social media accounts (through @savingoceans and @MAREgroup) and cannot wait to share more at the Summer Ocean Party!
The party is also your opportunity to see MARE’s amazing underwater robotic monitoring vehicle, the BATfish, up close!
The Summer Ocean Party will feature a silent auction, with proceeds supporting our marine protection work and the following items from our wonderful supporters:
- Clif Bar gear and bars
- 2 Mile Surf Shop adult surf lesson and 2-mile hat
- Lagunitas Brewing Company Sip and Spill Package
- 24 Hour Fitness 30 day membership and private consultation with trainer
- BodyROK private class for 10 people with snacks and champagne
- Henthorne Art Foto photography books (4 books)
- Straus Home Ranch tour for 4 adults, including cheese tasting
- Clavey Paddlesports kayak or stand up paddleboard weekend rental
- Pinnacles Dive Center four Discover Scuba Diving Classes
- Viansa Sonoma Private Outlook Wine Tasting for 4 guests
Dr. James J. Forni donated 2 teeth whitening kits
- The Sea of Change Trading Company donated 2 seaweed chocolate bars
We would also like to thank the Baum Foundation for their generous sponsorship of the party.
Can’t attend? The Baum Foundation has graciously offered to match any donations made in association with the event. Every dollar that you donate or spend on party tickets will make a difference in our work to protect and restore healthy ocean ecosystems. We can’t wait to see you at the Summer Ocean Party on July 23 and share our collaborative vision for our ocean!
Feature pic and tropical fish pic: Jeremy Bishop